Sunday, July 29, 2007

Of Pipes and Men

Given my last post on the trials and tribulations of the Kentucky Porch in our fair city, it isn't a surprise to me that another incident occurred in our bathroom today.

Our previous owner was a jack plumber. He mainly did work for the city with their waste water and storm water pipes. You know, things outside the home.

We haven't had serious problems with our pipes. Weird ventilation design in both of our bathrooms is about the extent of the challenges.

And some of the stuff that he used to create our current system was less than new.

Tonight, it was the "less than new" that prevailed. Now, if we had water that was high in minerals or other things, I would say that nearly 5 years would be the length of time. But, then again our pfaucet has a pfunny name associated with quality. Now, the trim would lead one to believe otherwise.

Six-year-old wanted a bath. Since Thursday night. But baths at grandma's house weren't good enough for her. She need to have Mister Bubble. Ah, the joys of the giant smiling friendly cousin to The Blob surrounding your body as you soak and cleanse. Back in my day, it was powder, today it's a pleasant gel that has all the bubbles and none of the grit.

I obliged the wish, and went to run the bath. Hot on. Check. Cold on. Check.

Hey! Wait a minute something's not right, why is there water coming out the back of the handle?

Yep. Pouring out at a brisk trickle form exactly where we don't want it to.

I knew it was going to happen eventually. The diverter valve has been doing silly things for about a year, and I had noticed that the cold handle was pretty cold after a shower. Not something I'd normally expect from a shower handle.

It was then off to the "I'm the only store open on Sunday at 7 p.m. for your hardware needs" store. (Big link, eh? Yeah, important one, too. I DO feel guilty) My goal was to finally fix said problems.

I thought it would be easy.

Meh.

Previous owner felt it necessary to puddy and caulk every little thing around the trim. Not bad if it all lasted for longer than 5 years. Bad, when you want to fix the problem.

*sigh*

Well, it works.

I know more about the workings of the fpunny fpaucet three-handle shower. For future reference: buy the stems, and other gaskets rather than the whole trim kit. Tighten some of the connections with the pipe wrench to get a better seal. Oh, and investigate the entire stem to be sure that the threads aren't stripped or washer thingies aren't broken.

All part of the fun and excitement of homeownership.

Oh, yes, it does work, we might have to adjust the handles and some of the settings, but I'm pleased.

chickadee gets her shower in the a.m.; and I will, too ... at some point.

I just have to watch out for the happy blob.

No comments: