Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It is done

Among one of the frustrating things in life is the misuse of the apostrophe.

Yep this little ant-trail guy right here:

'

He is misused, abused and embarrassed at just about every turn.

I, for one, am by no means an expert on usage, but I do know there are certain times that it should not be used.

Buy, why focus on the negative? Maybe each time I see a hand-written sign with the proper usage, or the lack of usage I should rejoice at the missing punctuation. I should be happy that the author took the time to word things differently.

CD's would simply say: Compact Disks, or, Certificates of Deposit.
"It is" would just be spelled out. No questions asked. Simply spelling out the word would save time.

I am not the only one out there with this pet peeve. There is actually a society in the UK committed to defending this voiceless and often abused punctuation mark.

Please help out.

I suggest:
If you do not know if something should be punctuated with an apostrophe or not, let the little guy rest.

Carry a red pen, or two, of various sizes to make the corrections as needed.

Thank you.

Update: I guess there is more people out there, thanks for this link, Elle!

1 comment:

Elle said...

dear lord save us from the contractions.