Monday, August 13, 2007

Screw the EASY button

Really.

It's stupid.

I'd prefer a 'reset' button.

Like the one on the Nintendo Entertain System.

You know, Mario runs off the edge in the underworld, or doesn't swim fast enough, or, worse yet, you get into the negative worlds and get tired os swimming. You simply reset.

Zelda? If you really mess up (is that possible?) don't save, just reset.

In real life, it would be nice (heck, Windows wouldn't work without ctrl alt del) to have a reset button.

Maybe not in life, maybe just for something, like, say a house. Every time you buy a house it looks and works exactly as it should given your lifestyle and the space that is there.

Then, if it gets cluttery, you get behind in your day by doing something stupid (say, breaking something even more that you're trying, err, attempting to fix), you just push reset, and your house is back to the original state ... sans painting or other fixes. Dishes done. Clothes where they belong and linens wherever the heck they're supposed to go.

I guess my parents had that feature.

Yeah, it was us.

Oh for the coming years when the lil ones aren't so lil and they can help out more ... I can wait, but I'm slightly impatient at times.

1 comment:

EGV said...

As a kid, I had trouble with the notion of addional lives. Eventually, I settled on the idea that video game characters don't have multiple iterative lives as much as they have opportunities to rewrite thier histories. I like that even more since it hints that the characters wouldn't necessarily even have a memory that they had screwed up - they just have this powerful feeling that if they just do things this way, things will go well. They move through their games just feeling like they are either wildly capable or impossibly lucky. "Hmmm, I just have the strongest feeling that metal blade is the weapon of choice here. Well, no sense in doubting myself at this point - time to fight the boss."