Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The point that my friend slaps his forehead ...

I can hear it already.

The dull smack on my friend's head as he meets it with his palm.

Maybe he'll go for the closed fist against the head. I dunno.

But he knows who he is.

When I picked up a 8mm projector from the WWII era, he said, "wow, that's neat, especially since you have so many 8mm films."

Yeah. We all have those laying around, right guys? Uh, Guys?

Today I had the privilege of assisting my aunt-in-law and uncle-in-law with clearing out a bit of his father's house. His dad died a few months ago, and all of the estate has been going through whatever process (probate?) that it needs to go through, and they just about closed today (complex story).

I went under the assumption that most of the stuff was done and gone, but I was quite wrong.

I also went assuming I was picking up just a few things to store for them until such time they had the capacity and ability in their vehicles to take said items to their house on the Oregon and Washington boarder.

Dear sweet, Lord, why do I deceive myself?

I'm practically an addict to estate sales. But I am poor. But when relatives are just about to ship things off to the local thrift store, it's all about free. I'm also a history sucker, and, well, that might not be a good combination.

I'm grateful that I got some usable stuff.

Though, I don't *quite* know what I'll do with four plastic mail order arbors that unfold and screw into some sort of fence (screws included!), or the bowling ball. Okay, I know the bowling ball is for juggling. So should the knives and antique oil cans (ala "Wizard of Oz", the Tin Man scene, except they are made of copper). Or perhaps the four Sampsonite folding chairs (mild mildew scent).

Or maybe the Hi-Fi from the 1950s in its built-in cabinet It's BEAUTIFUL.

What?

Yeah I've been wanting one since about 1996 when I got an LP from a Russian Orthodox monastery.

It's not as weird as is sounds. It was either take the recordings of the oldest church bells in Russia from one of the few monasteries that survived the Soviet religious purges (the rumour is they did them alphabetically, and this one was at the end of the alphabet ... near the Baltic States, just outside of Pskov), or stay. Their kvaas was good, but not that good.

Okay, prepare your hand, dear dream house friend. I don't have a place to put it. Oh, I'll find a place to put it, and will set my modern i-pod station on top of it to play ipod tunes. Might even retro fit the speakers some day ... but of course I'll use it ...

To play my one LP.

And that, compared to my 8mm projector, should be justified.

6 comments:

Joel413 said...

The last bruise just went away!!!

There are no places, maybe next to the console piano or somewhere near the 3 TVs in the basement.

And no, no it's not justified!!!

Look at all the !!! !!!

But then again, this is why you are you.

Unknown said...

as I said, that one is for you.

Alicia said...

If the radio didn't work I'm not sure it would have made it through the door other than for temporary storage until my auntie and uncle figured out what to do with it, for the record.

And hey -- I just got rid of 5 bags of kid clothes, with another 3 about to head out the door, so we have room, right?

Sigh. The projector still sits. Perhaps for a shelf?

Elle said...

Oh, I would so take that 8mm projector if I could find a camera at a decent rate.

Joel413 said...

OK, I have been told that as I ranted and chastised you about your estate finds that I neglected to mention that as I went to the Costume and Party Store to pick up a Treasure Chest for ourFiscal ear-End party, that as I browsed throught eh costume rental catalog then ultimately picked a quite dashing Captain Morgan-esque looking outfit and then was told "We're selling our rentals, that's the price, don't bring it back." I smiles and nodded and took my $70 costume back to the office. IT'S SO COOL! And you can borrow it when I'm not using it for the next 12-15 Halloweens.

And it was a huge hit at the party.

Jenny said...

I keep offering to come over and do all your "organizing" for you. :) I'm very good at getting rid of stuff. As my husband does not appreciate my talents, I keep trying to find a useful outlet. But my friends are cruel and deny me my creative urges.

sigh

Camera does sound cool....