Monday, October 29, 2007

Slow discoveries ...

One thing that I hate, being unable to drink milk or consume it on a regular basis (ixnay on the ice reamcay, too), is the lack of options for breakfast.

Well, it totally puts the hamper on oatmeal, or at least it did. I'm not a fan of the sticky goo that oatmeal becomes when it is heated over the stove.

Last year, a friend of mine told me that he soaks his steel cut oats overnight with raisins, figs and a few other things. Then, he heats it in the microwave in the morning.

I found it to be interesting.

So, the other day Kurka tells me he does the same. Huh. Must me good.

I mixed the oatmeal per the directions on the bag: 1/2 c oats to 1 c of water with some raisins and dried blueberries.

It worked, but there was too much water the next day. The texture, though, was EXACTLY what I like ... individual oats, not clumpy, starchy globs. I think it's more beneficial for digestion, too.

***********

We get our vegetables from Pioneer organics. Great program, keeps us in the veggies throughout these non-veggie months. (drop me an e-mail if you want to get in on the action, we get discounts for referrals)

Two weeks ago, we received my favorite type of potato in our delivery. Fingerling potatoes are great broiled, roasted and made into potato chips.

So, I cut them in 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices. I sprayed the pan with olive oil, laid them out, then sprayed them on top with olive oil as well. A sprinkle of Kosher salt, and it was ready to pop into my standard temperature oven (350 degrees).

Because of the variance in thickness, they needed to be monitored. I pulled them out as they turned brown.

More salt, and they were done.

Delicious.

(Thanks to EGV for putting this thought into my head.)

**********

There was something else, but I forgot.

No comments: