Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Quick trip and post

Went to Fred Meyer (so you know, it really, really irks me when people use the possessive of that name). It's Fred Meyer. No 's' on the end. Okay. I wince when I hear people say it that way.

The trip was mainly to get some relief from the kids, get five year old some medicine and some hooks.

A lady in the home furnishing aisle, window treatments I believe, was leaning over kissing her 18 month or so old on the neck where it joins the shoulder.

At that age, up to about 3 and one half I did that to my kids.

Today, though I wanted to say, "Hey lady! Please don't eat the baby."

I don't know why, I just wanted to.

Also, I found the last copy of Transformers the movie in the places that I usually shop. I've promised my son it for about 4 months, and have now succeeded.

Phew.

3 comments:

EGV said...

It used to seriouly bug me when people added superfluous posessives to proper nouns. But after an argument or ten with a former girlfriend over it, it became clear to me that being prescriptivist over this affectation was not a worthwhile effort. So while I still notice it any and every time someone does it, after much practice it is no longer like nails on a chalkboard.

Also, when your back was turned, that lady ate the baby.

Unknown said...

I don't outwardly express the pain in my gut when individuals superfluously use possessives for businesses. That would be impolite and make me a snob.

But it's physically painful.

On baby eating, I figured that was the crunching sound, but couldn't turn to look.

Joel413 said...

Anyways... :)

You know, I've owned TF:M for years and it's collecting dust...

You could have asked to borrow (long-term) it.