Friday, September 21, 2007

Risen from the dead

Technology is weird.

I believe that it is one part technological, one part magic and two parts miracles.

Yesterday, known by some as "PapaTacoma's very, very terrible-bad day" was perked up by a wonderful technological irony and event.

First off, my brother-in-law was having problems getting his computer on our network (two macs and his girl friend's PC were able to, but he could not). I shared with him that technology is part magical part miracle. He "humphed" the idea.

So there's a story about my wife playfully throwing a newspaper two days ago, only to have it not be caught by me, but by the FIRST CUP OF COFFEE of the morning. Not a bad thing, that's why we have towels ... except that said cup of coffee was, oh about 6 inches from "really-cool macbook pro" with (thankfully) AppleCare. (not a fan of extended warranties, but this one has been worth its weight in pennies).

After some fussing with the keyboard, I decided that it was time to call Mr. Jobs' company and ask for help. We reset things, and still no down arrow or "?/" key.

So I schedule a time at the genius bar that is closest to here (and break my mall rule, but wow, what a nice place to break that rule).

In the mean time, I find our U2 edition 20 gig iPod that I picked up about two years ago to help chickadee survive some night shifts. Now, 8 months ago, I went to sync it and it decided to die.

No warranty.

Not extended warranty.

Just dead weight.

So, I plug it into the "really cool MacbookPro", and even as it is dying, it gives our iPod life. And before I know it, I'm syncing files and all sorts of things that I haven't been able to do for nearly a year.

Now, I'm back in love with my iPod, chickadee can have it back whenever, but if not, she does have the Nano.

Oh, and wee one, if she had the $400 would have picked up the iPod touch today, as YouTube had a cute kitty video of cats popping out of a latex glove box. And even at two years old she could make it work ....

1 comment:

EGV said...

I spend a lot of time insisting the modern technology, especially concerning computers, has little to differentiate it from magic. I actually indicate things like "This is where the magic happens" in my design work. No joke.