Sunday, February 17, 2008

What's for dinner

I was at Costco a week or two ago, and fell in love with its meat.

Actually, it was a simple 8 pound roast. It looked all meaty, with just enough fat and marbling through and through.

I just had to have a reason to make some.

Today is that day.

Chickadee invited jcbetty over for some dinner. They're obligated (as it our tradition here) to bring a dessert and a bottle of wine. The wine's the tradition.

So, in the roast went to cook at 250 for most of the morning. I just jacked it up to 350 for a few hours (it'll go to 375 when I go to bake the challa).

Oh, yeah. I'm baking my own Challa today. I find it to be a simple, tasty bread that is good to break with new friends. We'll see how it goes.

My heart broke when I learned that our friends are not garlic people, as I was going to roast the garlic before putting it into my mashed potatoes.

It'll be okay, I might break for the store for some shallots or something that would offer a similar, but less intense flavor. Though, I'd be tempted to caramelize the shallots to serve just on top of the potatoes.

Oh, I'll also cook some carrots. I"m thinking I might be up for jullian carrots, but depends on how much time I want to spend cutting.

In all, it should be good to go by this afternoon when they get here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was all gorgeousness better than gorgeousness usually is.

And we would have happily eaten roasted garlic and smiled all the while (all things... in moderation.)

We had a great time-- thanks for the cooking and the having us over!

Unknown said...

always a pleasure.