Monday, January 14, 2008

"A dark, meaty snow"

A BBC reporter on the campaign trail in Iowa writes:

I left Ireland promising myself that I would demonstrate self-control in this country which refuses to practise portion control.

I do not want to become the latest in a long line of European settlers who arrive looking like Laurel and leave looking like Hardy.

But of course my first meal was a cheeseburger the size of a dartboard.

When I ordered bacon on it, eight slices arrived. I was learning my first lesson about US cuisine.

Bacon is no longer really a meat; it has become a garnish served alongside or on top of other foods, as though it was a kind of porcine salad vegetable.

Occasionally it even comes ground up and sprinkled over your dinner like a kind of dark, meaty snow.
Yes, sir it certainly is a delightful garnish.

2 comments:

Trusty Husband said...

mmm... meaty snow.

Anonymous said...

My Iowegian wife likes to point out that Iowa is the fattest, whitest, most literate state in the country. Not hard to figure out why.