Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The results

Borscht: Rave reviews from the friend whose parents immigrated to the US from Belarus in the early 1900s. Family also enjoyed. Must be something about there being a pound and 1/2 of butter in the recipe (I held back on that one).

Ham: It was ham, and it was appreciated.

Prime Rib: Excellent reviews for my first time out. The biggest challenge for me is paying attention to the muscle grains to be sure to cut against it. Only a few slices were in error. Today, wonderful sandwiches. I need to take better watch of the time and temperature of the center in the future.

Potatoes: Great reviews. Secret: like apple pie, the key is diversity in species of potatoes, usually three different types ... butter and cream (not milk, but cream). I also use Kosher salt in my cooking, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

There you go. A good small dinner party of about 11 people, and all went well.

Oh, and the pumpkin bread worked out great as gifts and something to have around.

No comments: