Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas day dinner begins today

Oh no, we're not gluttons or anything of the sort.

It's just that I got a crazy idea in my head that Christmas dinner (1 p.m. Tuesday) should have:

Prime Rib
Ham
Borscht
Mashed potatoes

Really.

So I purchased the prime rib yesterday (egads!) and need to make the borscht today so it can sit for a day or so in the fridge, enabling the flavors to mix and settle together.

If you don't know borscht it's a Ukranian/Russian soup. The recipe that I use is a vegetarian one with cream and butter. The staple vegetables are beets and cabbage. To that is added tomatoes, carrots, and assorted others. I think I'll be putting in some shredded zucchini in this as well. It's served best with fresh bread, so that'll be something I make on Tuesday morning.

The prime rib will be the first time I attempt to make it, so I'll see how it goes ... hence the ham back up.

Here goes ... dinner for 15 or so coming up!

No comments: